Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Is consumer over 18?


So yesterday it hit me...I'm standing in Walmart at the U-Scan buying Dayquil so that I can breathe. When I run the bar codes over the scanner, the computer beeps and a big warning comes across the screen that says, IS CONSUMER OVER 18? BIRTHDATE MUST BE BEFORE JUNE 01, 1990. For a split second I stood there in disbelief when I looked at the birthdate. My first born child was born on June 10, 1990. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks. My little girl, my baby, my tookie, was going to be an adult. I have 8 more days to have 2 minor children. I don't know...I'm having difficulty expressing how I feel about this. On one hand, I could not be more proud. I have a beautiful daughter who is smart, funny, compassionate, and a huge help. On the other hand, there is an underlying change that is taking place in our relationship. Less of a parental role and more of a friend and confidant that is taking shape. It's difficult to measure success as a parent. I guess I feel like we have done an outstanding job and the proof is in our daughter. I'm sure the future will hold lots more ups and downs, but I always want to remember how I felt as she passed through to adulthood. I mourn the loss of a little girl, and celebrate with a young woman. Congratulations baby, momma is proud!

2 comments:

Tamlyn said...

I remember when I found little Tookie on my doorstep in her little carrier...
and her first b-day with the "donated" decorations.
what about that drunk Clown at her other b-day.
her souped up barbie jeep.
her hair cut that led to head shave...
the peanut butter carpet sandwich...lol
so long ago but seems like yesterday.

Anonymous said...

omg I forgot about the drunk clown! I think that was her 3rd b-day! Too funny! Ah, deck stains and in laws, gotta love em. (not really!)