Tuesday, January 15, 2008

15 minute ministry

I remember a time a few years ago when Jim and I had a conversation about ministry. Being a Pastor's kid, I grew up my whole life hearing how I would have this big great ministry all around the world. When I was younger we traveled to many foreign countries and sang and taught the Word. (many times with interpreters) As I got older and had my own children, I saw mothers leaving their children at home with other people to go and minister all over the country and the world. This bothered me tremendously. I can remember wanting to be a mom when I was a little girl. When I made the decision to become a wife and a mother, that took precedence over everything else in my life. (Except God of course) Then I began to notice something. When I went into churches where no one knew me, the prophecies given to me were different than that of what I had heard growing up. I learned that prophecy is a guide line for us to view. We can submit or be stubborn. A prophecy should confirm to you what God has already spoken in your heart. Because I refused to travel and leave my children at home to do meetings, I was not considered to be "in the ministry." When Jim and I were discussing it a few years ago, I expressed to him how it made me feel. I didn't want to miss my calling in this life but at the same point in time, I made a choice to raise my children and be a wife to my husband. I had difficulty seeing how you could effectively do both. When I poured my heart out to Jim about it, he looked at me very confused. He said "what do you mean you don't have a ministry? You get to lay your hands on somebody new every fifteen minutes when they come into the salon." That is when it dawned on me. Sometimes we can be so busy waiting for our ministry to come around, that we actually miss our ministry. My ministry consists of counseling, advice, praying, listening, and pointing people into the direction of God. I'm so grateful for this insight. If I didn't have it, I may have gone my whole life thinking I did nothing with my "Calling." Take the time to find your ministry in your everyday. It could take just 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jen, This ministerd to me today. It made me think.

Batts said...

Jen I like your blogs. This is Billy Batts I remember you and Jim from Deeper Life years ago. I am glad to see it seems you two are doing well. What service do you usually attend? How is John? Jims brother? Peace.