Friday, April 18, 2008

Tattoos

Ok - so I go with Shelly yesterday because she wants to get a tattoo on her neck. The tattoo shop doesn't open until noon so we meet her early at a restaurant a few doors down. Jim and I are having lunch but she opts not to eat because she is nervous. (I can respect that. I mean who wants to throw up and twitch while I guy has a needle over one of your main arteries.) Mind you this is not her first tattoo but her THIRD! It had been about fifteen years since her last one though. She's too antsy to sit still at the table anymore and decides to go ahead down to the shop and get them going on her artwork. Her oldest daughter has drawn the most beautiful butterfly for her to use and she has the drawing with her. I finish lunch and walk down there just in time to spot her with, quite possibly, the freakiest man I have ever seen. I mean, there are no words. Now looks are one thing and personality is something completely different. This guy had neither. She managed to find the guy that was ADHD, bipolar, alcoholic and very very colorful. By the time she explains to him what she wants, her nerves are really working. She sits down in the chair and is waiting for him to set up. (This usually only takes about five minutes) Apparantly this guy is incapable of setting up and talking at the same time and he talks ALOT! At least fifteen minutes pass and he is finishing up filling up all the paint containers. I look down at Shelly and now she is starting to sweat. All she wants is a tattoo. She didn't sign up for the freak show! He puts the needle in the gun and bam - he has a phone call!!!!!!! He stays on the phone for at least another 10 minutes! Now I'm just thinking this is bad business skills but clearly this guy is doing good just to bestanding upright. Did I mention the shaking? Anyway, after I showed him where to put it on her neck we're off. He's tattooing and Shelly is remembering what it felt like. While the pain was not bad, her head is tilted completely over to the side so the skin will be taught. He is leaning with all his weight on her neck. Very long story a little shorter, the tattoo turned out beautiful, the pain was not as bad as she remembered, and she has been sore ever since because it strained her muscle. You can't make this stuff up people! Just thought I would share her journey...LOVE YA SHELLY!!!!

No comments: