Friday, December 14, 2007

A Moment

Have you ever just been going throughout your day , doing a whole lot of nothing, when all of a sudden it hits you. An overwhelming sense of warmth combined with a deep breath. Encapsulated in that very moment you realize how very blessed you are. You, your family, your children are all healthy. You have a home and a meal every time you are hungry and a lot of times, even when you're not. You have the freedom to express who you are wherever you are. You are loved by not only people around you but by God. You realize that you really don't need anything. Your life is full. Yea - there are days and there are ups and downs, but when you place that on a scale and the counter balance is everything else that is ok, how can you complain? Every now and then tears well up in my eyes as I realize how "easy" most of us have it. Our small complaints that just annoy us are nothing compared to what some people endure on a daily basis. After a couple of very long days at work, I though to myself tonight, "Wow, my feet are really hurting." Then without even thinking about it, I was reminded of the little girl who lost her feet this summer on a ride at Kentucky Kingdom. I bet she would love to work and stand until her feet hurt. My daughter knew the girl who was hit by a car last night in front of Moore. Sobering. Too close to home. Life is one big hard lesson sometimes. What have I learned? I have learned that I want for nothing. Even on hard days when the kids are driving me crazy and Jim is on my last nerve, I have a family. When I am tired and don't even want to move, that I have a body that takes me where I need to go. When my clients are driving me crazy and instead of cutting their hair I want to cut their head off, I have a good job. When I walk around my house and it's cluttered and not as clean as I would like, I have a home. When I'm irritated that there's nothing in the house to eat and I have to go to the grocery, I have the money to go. When I can't believe that I'm out of gas again, that I have a truck that takes me. When I don't always want to go to church or pray, that I live in a country that allows me to worship in public and not in hiding. Take the time today to think about what you're grateful for. Have a moment.

No comments: