Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Identity Theft

So I get the mail today and I get a letter from the mortgage company we used with our last rental house that sold in October. Come to find out one of their employees had been selling personal information off of the applications. The letter goes on and on about how sorry they are and how they will allow us to monitor our credit report free for two years...blah, blah, blah...then I turned the page. The title? PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE TO KEEP FROM BECOMING A VICTIM. This goes on to explain how I need to be careful with my mailbox, don't write your SS# on checks, don't give out information over the phone, report lost or stolen credit cards, and destroy and shred all personal papers. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I didn't screw up, you did!!! You're going to lecture me about what not to do when you're the one who was careless with my information? Unbelievable. I seem to have made it 35 years without being a victim...until I did business with you! (By the way - our credit report was clean) But still...

No comments: